Upcoming holidays have you stressed out? It's not unusual. Actually we all feel somewhat stressed over them...good and bad stress, but stress none-the-less Whether we stress about watching what we eat versus enjoying ourselves, getting enough sleep versus keeping the party going, blowing the budget versus buying something really special, feeling like a scrooge because we really can't stand the holidays...the list goes on and I'm sure you have many more you could add.
A little pre-planning, and I mean right now, can go a long way to not only surviving but really enjoying a holistic holiday season (yes, even for the grinches!). Let's put some plans into action together!
Foods, Diets, Sugars & Carbs...It All Looks Sooooooooooooo Good!
Is this a struggle for you? It is for me. There's alot of food & alcohol at holiday events that I normally don't let myself indulge in...but I have managed through the last few seasons to indulge a little and enjoy, without suffering too much the next day. Here's how...
- I usually have something to eat before I go out and that way, despite the temptations of what's being served I'm already full and eat less, if anything. Going right after work? Tuck something extra into your lunch to pull out before heading out for the evening. These ensure you're making your own healthy choices
- Sugar is what effects us the most in feeling yucky and dragged out the next day, whether from food or alcohol. Did you know that you can peruse the offerings and make a choice to choose some a little less sugary? OR that red wine, gin or vodka have much lower sugar content than other drinks? Take some time to look at the offerings and make your choices plus drink lots of water throughout and after the event. If you overdo it then be sure to have the homeopathic remedy Nux Vomica on hand to ease the next day's sufferings.
- Take a look at your calendar, when you'll be eating out and when you will stay in and plan your groceries for the week around that. Nights at home can mean lighter and healthier choices.
Sleep & Exercise...But I Just Don't Want to Go Home!
Lol...I don't care what age you are, when you're partying you want to keep going!
But the holiday season is also the season for colds and flus and lack of sleep can diminish our Immune System's abilities to fight off viruses.
- I have become a huge fan of napping. Something I never would have considered before, has in the past two years, become a favourite. There is something refreshing about taking 20 minutes or so to completely relax. It gives me so much energy for the rest of the day that I actually plan and book some time in for a quick nap a few days a week.
- They say (whoever 'they' are) that you can't store sleep. I disagree. Having one lazy day a week where I sleep in, and maybe have a nap as well, revitalizes me for the rest of the week. It's something I plan. I look ahead in my calendar to see what I have coming up and book a full day off or at least a lazy morning.
- Did you know keeping up with your exercise, yoga and meditation routines will actually give you extra energy for the party nights? AND help fortify your Immune System...so go ahead, you know you want to!
Selfcare ... What's That?
You know those special things you do just for you...come on, you know the things that pamper you and make your soul smile, make you go ahhh. Do more of those! Especially during the holiday season.
One of the best ways to hold off those feelings of overwhelm is to indulge in a little more selfcare time. Book that massage, take time for a bubble bath, pull out a book and make a cup of tea...whatever those little things are for you. You can preplan now by pulling out your appointment book and writing yourself in first! When you take care of you first then you have so much extra energy for all the others in your life and all the extra things to get done during the holidays.
The Energetic Ways to Keep it Simple!
Surviving the Holidays Part 2? Are you ready for the things that, while they may not be popular with those around you, are really good for you? Next Blog read about them and even if you only integrate one or two...you'll feel soooo much better!